Monday, February 18, 2013

Writing Without Writing






            Last week we discussed how sometimes we’ll need to sacrifice time in order to get our story written, and just before that Liz helped us out by getting us to set realistic goals for our writing. Here’s the honest truth. No matter how much we may want to, there will be days that it’s impossible to make time to write. It sucks, but it’s true.
            What then?
            Well I’m sure everyone has a few things they do every day, or once in a while, that takes no though process at all. Stuff like when we’re getting ready for work, cleaning up the house, mowing the lawn, or even shoveling snow. These times are perfect to spend some good ole quality time with our characters and the story, or if it’s more your style, play the vindictive God and torture a character or two.
            Only thing to watch out for is drifting into the story too much. During my first novel I was so bad that I would forget whole conversations that I just had less than 5 mins ago with my wife. So, stick with the mundane stuff.
            Anyone else have a time they just think about the story? Did you have a breakthrough with it? Let us know.
            Auzy
            

2 comments:

  1. I did that yesterday, and for many days, to figure out my POV issue. I THINK I got it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually this happens to me when I'm driving or in the shower. I'm seriously thinking of getting a shower notepad:)

    ReplyDelete