Friday, August 17, 2012

Book Review: Slippers of Pearl by Danyelle Leafty

Slippers of Pearl by Danyelle Leafty
Released: 7.7.12
Rating: 3.5--It's a nice fun read. :)

Synopsis:
Shoes, unlike magic, are predictable. They don’t change shape, bite, or alter a person’s destiny.

And that’s just how Faryn likes it.

But his Uncle Harvey has a bad habit of dying. While inconvenient, this hasn’t ever been a problem until now. Thanks to an evil witch and a poisoned apple turnover, Harvey is dead again—permanently this time.

As his uncle’s heir, Faryn has to give up shoemaking in order to accept and refine his magic.

Magic he never wanted.

Unwilling to let go of his dream, but unable to escape his destiny, Faryn combines the two and discovers a knack for making magical shoes. He also learns that turning a person into a goose is a lot easier than turning her back, and that he severely underestimated how much trouble magic can be.

The witch who killed his uncle is trying to control all the magic of the land, and it’s up to Faryn to stop her. If only he can get his magic to cooperate in time.


Review: 
So this book took me a minute to get into. It just throws you into the story without much grounding and it took me a second to acclimate enough to enjoy the story.
Once I did, though, I really liked this cute little retelling. Faryn is a likable character--a bit of a clueless one at times, but likable. The friendship between Faryn and Terrik developed nicely.
What made this book really stand out for me was the humor. There were several snarky exchanges that had me laughing out loud (earning commentary from my Niece) and that snarky friendship is what kept me interested. I also found the retelling of the classic fairytale The Princess Who Couldn't Laugh intriguing. But then, we have established I'm a fan of retellings.
Finally, the magic was unique and captivating. I liked that Faryn's magic came from his love of shoemaking, and that magic was sort of a daily thing that the venerable old mentor (there is always a venerable old mentor) expected Faryn to figure out on his own. I found that refreashing and realistic.
So all in all, this is a fun little story. It's definitely amusing and I'm interested in reading more of Leafty's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment