Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Building A Real World part 1




Any one of my CP’s can tell you how much I hate world building. I loathe it so much that I’d rather edit stories from any pretentious butt-wad who’s convinced they’ve written the next Harry Potter series. No joke.  So of course my current project has required me to build a world from the ground up.

In other words, I’m in a writer’s purgatory.

Regardless if you feel the same about this process as I do, world building is an incredibly daunting task.  There were times where I just wanted to give up. Only two things stopped me—my incredible CP’s, and a beast of a story that was begging to claw its way out of my skull.

There really was only one choice. Do my time and hope to get an early pardon for good behavior. After a few failures, I finally came up with a system that helped me through. Hopefully they’ll help you too.

What you need:

1.    Amazing CP’s.

2.    Tablets.

3.    Lots of pens.

4.    A push-pin or dry erase board.

Why you need them:

1.    The best CP’s will push your ass.

2.    One tablet for general brainstorming, one for ideas you really like, and one for everything you definitely want in it.

3.    Lots of pens because you’ll probably lose most of them.

4.    The boards will allow you to check off huge categories like characters and places, and keep you focused on a foundation for the story. It’s the rock of the novel.

 

After you have these down, it’s time to get down and dirty. There are just so many things that are needed in order to make this world feel real to the reader. We have all the different types of characters, places, and even the karma of the world (or lack of it). In short what a lot consider as the fun stuff. But those will be in other post in the very near future.

Do you have a way to start your world building that works wonders for you? Let us know.


      Auzy

1 comment:

  1. I had to do a lot of world building for one of my stories but I didn't really think much about the process when I was going through the first draft, I'd just create places that were needed and worry about them later. When I went through the second time for revision I had a pad (like you already recommend, probably would have helped) and started to draw the world out as I already had it in the story. Then I did what I could to make it more logical/just plan better so that the next time I revised, I could have a more cohesive and real world.

    Now when it comes to world building for an epic fantasy... I wouldn't even know where to began.

    ReplyDelete