Friday, December 21, 2012

Best of 2012

Hey, lovelies!!

So I've done something I've never done before--I kept a list of all the books I read in 2012. So some stats:
Books Read: 164
Young Adult: 96
Adult: 57
New Adult: 11

They ranged from paranormal (62) to dystopian (16), historical (5), retellings (16) and contemporary (14) and favorite books I reread (22)

But which ones really stood out? This year's top 10 are:

10. THE ROSE GARDEN This is an older book, but I was drawn in by the time-travel and historical aspects of it, and the beauty of the writing. It really stuck with me, a long time after I finished it, and there was something sweet and simple about it. Excellent quiet read.

9. TIME BETWEEN US What if the boy you love lives two thousand miles and twenty years away? This book was described as Time Traveler's Wife for teens, and I really have to agree. It didn't get a ton of buzz, but the bond between the main characters, and the way she had to save herself--I loved it.

8. UNRAVELING This book. Wow, this book. That this came in at 8 says something about the other books on this list. For weeks after reading this, I couldn't get it out of my head. There were sentences, a delicate turn of phrase that just stuck with me, and the scene where Janelle gets into Ben's head and sees exactly what he feels for her--*sigh*. I loved it. And the fact is, though partly predictable, the book was fresh and original and I loved it. :)

7. EASY A self-published title made my list, you guys. Because it was that. Damn. GOOD! (Tammara and Easy went on to a contract with a big house!). Anyway. The book is a romance, plain and simple. What's unique is that Lucas has some serious issues--ones that even I didn't see coming--and Jacqualine is finding her own feet. That Lucas lets her, even helps her, definetely helps the story. And the scene where he draws her for the first time? Holy hell, that's hot.

6. UNDER THE NEVER SKY There is nothing I didn't like about this book. Slightly predictable, but the world-building, the characters, the fact that it wasn't insta-love. The very feral Perry next to the quiet, gentle Aria--all of it added up to a gorgeous read. I can't wait for the sequel. :)

5. DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE Yes. I know. This was a book from 2011. But it was the second book I read of 2012, and it set the bar HIGH. Unique, original, with a savage loveliness that still catches me off guard when I'm daydreaming, it was flawless. I know some folks weren't a fan of the way the book seemed to be two different stories pasted together, but I didn't see it that way. It was one girl's story, that happened to be a bit more complex than it appeared at first glance. And I loved it. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel Christmas Eve. :)

4. ICED I am a huge fan of Karen Marie Moning and her Fever series, so when I heard about ICED, I was on cloud nine. And then I heard it was about Dani, and I was worried. And THEN I heard Barrons (and Mac) weren't gonna be in it and I almost lost interest.
And then I read it. And though, KMM didn't manage to replace Barrons (I don't think anyone can do that, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, go read the Fever series. RIGHT. NOW.) But she certainly did make me forget him for a while. Loved it.

My last three are actually tied. They were all amazing. SO:
 INCARNATE One word: Sam. In all seriousness--besides the phenomenal Sam, there was the dragons, and just the pure beauty of the writings, and the world Meadows created and...gah, I'm gonna sound like a crazy fangirl but DEAR GOD, GO READ THIS BOOK, IT'S AMMAAAAZZZZING.  

 THE RAVEN BOYS Maggie Stiefvater is a favorite--all of her books are--but this one. Just wow. The relationship between the boys, the complexity of it, completely overshadows Blue's role. And yet, she finds a place with them that makes me anxious to know more. It left me overwhelmed by the beauty, surprised by the story, and longing for more RIGHT NOW. And yet, Maggie managed to wrap it up with a cliffhanger that DIDN'T make me want to hurt someone. That's actually a little unsual. Good job, Maggie.

 SHADOW AND BONE So I should admit--I have a soft spot for Czarist Russia. And this was undeniably inspired by that. But wow--the Darkling, the Grisha's, the historical fantasy wove a world of beauty familiar and new and I LOVED IT. I couldn't decide if I wanted Alina to end up with the Darkling or not, and in the end, she makes her own choice about that, and I was thrilled to see her find her own strength. It was a standout book in a year of standout books.

So that's it, my dears. My favorite reads this year. What have you read that you loved? Any of my favorites, or something else completely? Talk to me in the comments!

Please note: The Rejects will be taking off until Jan 2 to relax, read, and enjoy our families. Happy holidays, and we'll see you next year! :)

N~

2 comments:

  1. What a great list. Now every single one on your list that I haven't read (6! yes 6 of your top 2012 reads) I'm getting ahold of right now, with Time Time Between us taking 1st priority.

    See you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list of books!

    Enjoy the holidays and see you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete