Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Multi-Tasking


I wanna talk today about multi-tasking.

I'm a mom. Multi-tasking, for me, is like breathing. Make breakfast, get the kids dressed, pour coffee, put the dog outside. All without breaking a sweat and well before my coffee is cold.

But for a long time, I couldn't multi-task in writing. I had to draft. Or revise. It couldn't be more than one project at a time--I worked on one thing. And when I finished, I'd move on to the next thing.

But things have changed a little. Last week, I worked on line edits for Edge and today I worked on revisions of Stars and when I finish this blog, I'm drafting zbook.

My lovelies, I'm MULTI-TASKING.

So what brought this on? Necessity. Look, I have a book coming out in a little less than two months. Which is WOOHOO, exciting. But I also have five agents/editors waiting on a revision of Stars. And two very (im)patient CPs waiting on more zbook. So, see? I HAVE to work on more than one thing at a time.

And I'm okay with it. I've actually enjoyed the challenge and busyness. It's been fun, even if it did take a minute to get used to.

So, how bout you? Do you juggle several projects at once? Or can you only focus on one at a time? Talk to me in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Multi-task me away.....
    Yes, I do with querying a project, writing/revising another, day job, kids, a weekly jazz show and promo of other artist. Whoshhh. busy, love it. But feel I must remember to breathe, so I can stay calm, and not let the ride overtake me. I'm glad, I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to just work on one project at a time but now I am able to work on more than one thing. I can revise one while I work on the first draft of another - sometimes even in the same day. amazing.

    ReplyDelete