Friday, January 11, 2013

Why I'm Self-Publishing

So it's been a few days since I announced I was self-publishing Edge of the Falls. And, aside from the excitement, the most common reaction has been, "What made you decide this?"
 
It's a fair question, so here's my answer. 
 
I was tired of spinning my wheels. And I want folks to read my stories. 
 
Edge was my fifth book. I've written two more since then, and sent Edge out on round after round of queries. It got good response, requests for fulls, even revise and resubmit requests.  
 
I knew I had a good story. But it wasn't going anywhere, so I put it up and I focused on my next story. 
 
Fast forward a year and a half. I was running into the same issues with the next book--lots of interest, lots requests, but nothing more. 
 
I still know I have a good story, and the ability to tell it well. So I started looking at other options. 
 
Let's be honest--self-publishing has come a long way in the pas few years. And 2012, it really came into its own. And I watched, and talked to CPs and my husband. I was tired of doing the same thing over and over with the same result. 
 
So I set a personal deadline and made my plans and here we are. 
 
There are other reasons--personal shtuff that is as exhausting as it is boring--but what it comes down to is this: 
 
I have stories. I want you to read them. And the traditional route wasn't letting that happen. 
 
So I'm taking the less traditional route. And it's hard and a little terrifying and so exciting. But in the end, you get the chance to read my story and, I hope, love it just as much as I do. 

So!! Our first giveaway launches today! And here are all the details: 
Edge of the Falls is on Goodreads!! Let's see if we can get it on some to-be-read shelves, huh?
So here's what I'm giving away:
 
  • 100 adds–excerpt
  • 200 adds–e-ARC giveaway, excerpt
  • 400 adds–gift card and e-ARC, excerpt.

  • To be eligible, add Edge of the Falls to your to-be-read list on Goodreads and tweet about it (@NazareaAndrews) At each milestone, I’ll post an excerpt on my website, and/or draw a random winner.

    That's it, folks! :)

    4 comments:

    1. Awesome! I wish you the most wonderful best ever :-D

      ReplyDelete
    2. Go for it - welcome to Indie-world. You'll be astonished how much fun it is.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wonderful--get those stories out to the READERS! all the best.

      ReplyDelete